Sunday, June 29, 2008

Moving and Mehico

So this is going to be like three blogs in one. I hope you have a little time to read. It has been a whirlwind three weeks. We moved on June 13. Here is an interesting story about the move.
So as most of you know we bought a double wide trailer three years ago and that is where we lived for most of dental school. Well back in March we put it up for sale. It sold in 6 days. Total blessing, right? Well the lady gave us $1000 down and we agreed that we would settle the balance and sign the paperwork on June 13. So about a week before we were supposed to sign I called her to make sure everything was still on. No problem, she told me how excited she was and that she couldn't wait to move in. Then on June 11th the lady called to ask about getting the eletrical switched over. She reiterated her excitement about moving in. Well the next day, on June 12 at about 8 pm I called her to see what time she was coming over the next day. As soon as I started takling to her she freaked out on the phone. "I am not coming tommorrow, I have been at the hospital with my husband for two weeks now an I am NOT coming tommorrow, blah, blah, blah." I asked her if tommorrow was a bad day or if she wanted to reschedule or what the deal was. She was like "No I don't want to reschedule, I am not coming and I just want to forget the whole deal...CLICK." She freakin hung up on me. So here we were, moving in 24 hours and now the house we assumed was sold is now back on the market. We didn't sleep that much that night. We prayed that something would work out. The next day we decided to try and hire someone in our ward to sell it for us. Well, right before I was going to call someone to sell it we heard a knock at the door. I thought it was our landlady but it was actually this lady that was going to buy it. She was like "Is this a good time to settle things?" My jaw about hit the floor, but I kept my cool and told her that now was a perfect time and we were expecting her. I guess my prayer was answered. She paid us and we signed the papers and that was that. She never mentioned the phone call from the night before so I never brought it up. Now a couple weeks later the checks have cleared and all is good. We are going to miss this old trailer. So we got moved to Georgia. I won't bore you with all the details as it was rather uneventful. Abby and Amy's folks came to help with the move and to help us unpack. (Thank you guys so much by the way!!) On Wednesday Abby and Shelda took the kids up to Tennessee for a week and Amy and I left on a Cruise. We sailed to the western carribean on a 5 night cruise. It was awesome. I really think that cruises are by far the best bang for your buck. our first port was Progresso, Mehico. We went out to see the ruins of Chitzen Itza. It was awesome.
OK I am totally ticked off. I just freakin deleted most of the pictures from our cruise. I can't beleive it. The only consolation is that we were pretty lazy about taking pictures and I only lost about 20 pics. The aggrevating thing was that they were of the ruins at Chitzen-Itza. Argh!!! Oh well I downloaded a few pics so you could see what we saw. Just imagine us in front of them.
This is the main temple. It is probably the most recognizable temple of all the Mayan ruins.
This was the hoop at the ball court. The ball court was just a little smaller than a football field.

Our next stop was Cozumel, Mehico. Here we rented a scooter and rode around the island. It was nice b/c we were able to get away from the crowd and kind of go at our own pace. We stopped at this little place and ate some mexi-food and did some snorkeling. A huge storm rolled in so we had to cut it a little short but, it was fun anyways. Then we board the ship and headed for home. It was so nice to have a break from the kids and everything. I had no cell phone coverage for the whole trip so we were truly cut off from the rest of the world.
It was nice to get home and see our kids. That was the longest that Amy had ever been away from them and the only time that both of us had been away together more than one night. They were so cute when we got back. Now that we are home it is time to settle in and get to work. I start work tommorrow. I am pretty excited but, I am a little nervous about the learning curve. It is always hard to go into a new situation and learn the ropes. Oh well.
By the way we made our first purchase this week. Washer and dryer baby. I got a subscription to consumer reports b/c I figured we were going to be making several purchases in the coming months. These were the highest rated W/D on consumer reports. Nice.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡Viva la México! I'm jealous of your cruise. I'm hoping that Lisa and I can soon have a nice vacation like that. Good luck with work tomorrow. Don't forget to do what Bradley always taught you!

Carter Clan said...

CONGRATS on everything. I love your story about your house, the Lord really does answer our prayers especially in crunch time. I agree with you on the cruises WE loved our cruise and hopefully will get to go on another soon. Good luck with your new job, keep the updates coming!

The Wynn Family said...

Lucky! That cruise looks awesome. Brad and I have always wanted to go on one but have yet to make it there. I'm glad you guys had such a great time!

Hamblin Family said...

Good to see that you guys are alive--and still somewhat close! What part of Georgia? House? Details, details!! How are the kids adjusting? Well it sounds like you guys are doing well. Good luck with the new job.

Paul said...

If you really want to look like less a gringo and call it Meh-hee-ko, then you should at least spell it Mejico... just a tip from your favorite hometeachee.

tiff snedaker said...

The cruise looks amazing!! And the story about your trailer, the lady sounds crazy, but at least you got moved! Good luck with your new job!!

Lawson Family said...

We're so happy for you guys! Workign in the real world...that's so nuts!! The cruise looked incredible and so worth it! Good luck with work and all!

Lance and Caetie said...

Sup scodes,

I know what you mean when you say it was hard to leave your trailer. It's funny how you can leave such a small home with a family as big as yours and still be sad about it! Good luck with that new job, I know how nerve racking a new routine can be. Bye

Lance

Unknown said...

congrats on your move and starting work! i think cody secretly LOVES perio because he talks about it every chance he gets. go, perio!

Abs said...

It stinks that you deleted your pictures. I'm glad I got to see them. If I was an artist and had a photographic memory I would redraw them all for you. Make sure you check out some cute picts of your kiddies on my blog.

Starley Family said...

Too bad about the photos you guys. At least you have most of them right? Funny how she wigged out on you and then came back calm and collected. Like you said your prayers were answered. Good to hear everything worked out.

Katie said...

I'm finally online now and catching up on blogs and just read your crazy story! what a weirdo lady. your cruise looks amazing. i think we went on the same exact cruise ... maybe? (with my family about 4 years ago) anyway, i totally agree that cruises are the best bang for your buck. i love it. well, we should seriously meet up in nashville sometime - we're really not very far from each other.

Rachel said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a blast. You look all cruisin and stuff in your suits. By the way, my new friend knows you guys. They are from Hershey and know Abbey. Melanie and Dave Frances...they are really cool and live in the building right next to us. We miss all you guys! Bueno suerte with everything.